Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Skills 1 Day 7

Puree of Lentil Soup

Me making Brown Roux

Today I woke up to snow on the ground! It was really cool from the window, but walking up to Roth in 18 degree weather with a lovely wind was not so enjoyable. Day 7 would be focused on puree of lentil soup, bean cookery, introduction to brown stocks and Roux. We had a lot of stuff to get done today plus our knife trays which had to be completed in 50 minutes once again. For the first time in skills class we had to complete timelines in order to come into class, which lists on an index card the recipe we will be completing the proceedure that we must follow and a very detailed equipment list, all on the same card. Nobody really knew what they were doing so it was a litte nerve racking coming into class this morning. He was in the process of checkeing our timelines and then stopped the class and gathered us all around his desk. He told us that the timelines were horrible and that we better learn how to do them fast. So I was thinking to myself, "oh no I messed it up and will get graded down for it!" We all went back to our stations and continued to work, when all of a sudden I hear chef call out my name across the entire kitchen. He said "Tallulah. And I responded back with "yes chef" he continued to say "very nice job on your timeline, it's perfect." I was totally shocked because he had just said they were all not very good and to add to that he just complimented me infront of the entire class! Once again I had a huge goofy grin on my face, this was also even more exciting because I was the only one he said something to about the timeline being good! Class went on and it was time to turn in our knife trays, he looked at mine and said "Your cuts look very good! Tallulah you have a very good eye." Once again I couldnt help but smile from ear to ear in pure excitment and accomplishment. Now it was time to make the lentil soup and make our black beans. Every step in the process went very well and when it came time to taste my soup had great flavor and the beans were cooked just right! Once again I was as happy as one could possibly be.
cooking the Lentil Soup

No comments:

Post a Comment