Thursday, December 9, 2010

Skills 1 Day 4

 

Today was French Onion soup day! This is probably one of my favorite soups, my mom has always made it for my family and my hope was to be able to make it as good as hers always is! Our day started promptly at 6:30 am I was on the stock team today, we made assembled the chicken and white beef stock and turned on the large kettles to cook for the day. We then went on to starting our knife trays for the day, we began at 7:20 am and we had till 8:20 am to finish. Finally around 8:15 I completed my knife tray and had chef check it, all my cuts looked good except my juliennes and brunoise needed to be a little more square which is something that can easily be fixed and hopefully that will happen with my knife tray tomorrow. It was then time for the demo on French Onion Soup, that took about 30 minutes and then it was off to the races for us. We all broke from chef's station to our burners and work stations. We each sliced a pound of onions for our soup and we had to caramelize our onions, then when we thought it was to the correct golden brown color we had chef check it and then we could add the beef broth to begin simmering for 25 minutes. At the end of the 25 minutes I added the sherry, salt and pepper to season. I then plated my soup and took the walk with it up to chef's desk. He took his tasting spoon and tried it he said "Mmm this is good Tallulah, very nice job!" So once again I went back to my station with a huge smile on my face and the feeling as if I was on cloud nine! It was a great day once again. Tomorrow we are making Consumme, which is a perfectly clear broth with very rich flavor. I can only hope that tomorrow goes well as my nerves are setting in, I will let you all know how it goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment