Friday, December 3, 2010

Meat ID and Fabrication Final day!

Today was the last day of meat ID and Fabrication! It was exciting because that meant we would not be in the dungeon of the school absolutely freezing. Today when I walked up to Roth hall for class it was about 25 degrees, pretty much it was way to cold for my liking and then I got into the meat room and I am pretty sure it was about the same temperature. It was pretty miserable and it was cold like that all morning! We started class with the 2nd part of our final which was 25 identifications. The IDs could come from a pig, lamb, cow, or veal. It could be anything from a flank, skirt, or hanger steaks, veal sweetbreads, beef tenderloin, rack of lamb and many other possibilities, but just to give you an idea of what would be on the test. After completing the ID it was time to make sausage. We made Italian and breakfast sausages. We had to get all the ingredients for the recipes the mix it with the pork trim. After mixing everything together we then had to grind all the meat together so the meat would be the right consistency for the type of sausage. Then we got the intestines from a pig and used that as the casing for the sausage. The next step was to actually stuff the sausage and then the rope of sausage we had just made into links. It was a fun and interesting process, the best part was at the end of the day when we got to try the different sausages, they were delicious! After cleaning up the kitchen in the meat room for the last time we went from the bottom of Roth Hall up to the 4th floor to take our 100 question multiple choice test. Then after finishing that intense test I turned it in to chef, I shook his hand and was officially done with meat ID and Fabrication. I can't really say I going to miss that class but I learned a lot! I also won't have to get up at 5am anymore, I get to sleep until 5:45am it is quite exciting! I start my first kitchen class on Monday also known as Skills One, I am really looking forward to it but I am of course very nervous!

No comments:

Post a Comment