Saturday, February 26, 2011

Skills 3 Day 13




My groups plates up at the grading table

Today was the final day of skills 3, we had to take our final written exam and our practical exam. For the practical we would be split into new groups that we would find out the day before our actual exam. Also at that time we would figure out what our menu would be. At the end of day 12 we found out our new groups and I was quite content with mine, also I was happy with the menu I got. I had made the same menu before for class, so I was feeling pretty confident about the exam. For the practical we had from 6:45 am till 10:25 to prepare our dish and if we didn't do it in time we would loose major points. Our dish was sauteed chicken fines herbs, with carrots and sugar snap peas, with freshly made saffron pasta. I was in charge of all the vegetables and cooking of the chicken for the dish. We started off the day pretty well and our prep went just as planned, we were right on track with everything. It was now 10:20 and plating was going perfectly. One thing that we had to make sure of when we took our plates up to chef was that our food was hot. He was big on making sure our food was hot, one of his favorite sayings was "make sure your food is HTH, aka hotter than hell." When we took our food up there he would shoot it with this laser gun and make sure the food was at 145 degrees. He asked me if I had made sure my vegetables were and I told him that they indeed were. He put one in his mouth and almost spit it right back out because it was so hot. He was like I think I just burned my tongue, I could not help but laugh and tell him "I told you it was hotter than hell!" He laughed a little after that one and just kind of shook his head at me. It was a good day, my group ended up getting a 92 on the soup and a 90 on the entree! It was pretty awesome final grade for the class!

No comments:

Post a Comment