Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Skill 3 Day 11 & 12





Salmon in Poaching Liquid
Day 11 was an exciting day for me because it brought me back to about a year and a half ago when I came to The Culinary Institute of America. At that time I was still trying to decide whether or not I wanted to do Culinary Arts or Baking and Pastry. I came to the CIA to participate in a program they have where you can shadow a culinary or baking class. I shadowed both but the significance to this story is that when I shadowed the culinary class, it happened to be skills 3 and on day 11. When I went into that class to shadow for the day I was put on the soup and salad station and ironically for my actual skills 3 class I was put on the soup and salad station for that day too. I would actual get to make what I helped with a couple years ago, it was actually kind of bittersweet. Also on this same day a man came into our class to shadow it for the day to get a feel for the curriculum and the school itself. For day 11 I made Spinach, Arugula, and Radicchio with Honey-Poppy seed Citrus dressing, and the soup was a cream of cauliflower. That day was successful and fulfilling! Day 12 I made Deep Poached Salmon with Sauce Béarnaise, Tournéed Potatoes, French Cut Green Beans and Squash Noodles. It all went smoothly we got our deep poach done on time along with all the other components of the dish and chef was happy with the final product.

No comments:

Post a Comment