Friday, November 19, 2010

Seafood ID and Fabrication day 5


My Butterfly Cut, Rainbow Trout
 
Black Sea Bass

Tasting in Class


Oysters and Clam I Shucked

 I woke up this morning excited about class today because it was Mollusks day! Specifically Gastropods which include uni-valves and bi-valves. The uni-valves we learned about were snails, conch, and abalone. The bi-valves were clams, oysters, scallops, and mussels. We also learned about Cephalopods; squid, cuttlefish and octopus. I love all of these animals they are delicious if prepared right. I also forgot to mention we do tastings every class on the fish that we learn about, it is awesome we try about 7-13 different ones a day. So today we would be trying all the different Mollusks and I have been telling all my friends how excited I was for today, they all just say yeah it's not that exciting to eat 3 different raw oysters and 1 raw clam at 6 in the morning. Well I will have you know I enjoyed every minute of it! We had to shuck southern, northern and western oysters, one of each, and then one clam. Shucking the oysters was not as hard as I thought, you just have to use some elbow grease! After shucking them we ate them off the half shell, I thought they were delicious, but the faces of everyone else in the class were priceless! A few people ran over to the sink and rinsed their mouths out instantly, a few spit it right back into their napkin and others just gave the face that they clearly were not enjoying them. Some of the people in my class felt sick after, it was quite funny because the Mollusks did not bother me at all. Then after cleaning up all the shells, we had to fabricate a Rainbow Trout and a Snapper we had to butterfly the Rainbow Trout and fillet the Snapper. It was a good day in the kitchen because I got a compliment on my fillets from someone in my class, and the chef came up to me and looked at mine and said "that looks nice!" that is exciting because rarely does a chef tell you are doing something well but they will definitely tell you that you are doing something wrong, so it was a good day. We then went into lecture for three hours and had a tasting of mussels, Wellfleet clams, Steamer clams, Bay scallops, Sea Scallops, Black Sea Bass and Tile Fish. It was one of the best tasting days yet! We finally got out of class at 11 and then I went with some friends to get food at Cuisines of The Mediterranean kitchen. On the menu they had Kokotxas Saltsa Berdean, which is Cod Cheeks in Green Sauce, it does not sound very appealing and I probably would not have gotten it, but because in seafood fabrication the other day we learned that Cod Cheeks taste like Scallops! So I got that dish and it tasted like amazing scallops with the Green Sauce which was pretty much garlic, butter, parsley and lemon...Can I say it was pure bliss on a plate, it was so delicious! Today was very successful, now it's just time to start my never ending homework. It would be even better if today was actually a regular Friday night but Saturday (tomorrow) I have class at 5:00 am because, we have a day off for thanksgiving and there is no time to actually miss a class here, like I said it is intense!
scallops, oysters, mussels, and clams



Fish I Filleted



No comments:

Post a Comment