Friday, November 19, 2010

Seafood ID and Fabrication day 4

Day 4 was focused on round fin fish and non-bony fish (cartilaginous). All the fish we focused on are as follows; (you don't have to read them all, because I don't want to annoy you with all these fish names but just to give you an idea about all the different fish I learn about daily) Wild Striped Bass, Hybrid Striped Bass, Black Sea Bass, Red Snapper, Vermilion Snapper, Silk Snapper, Yellowtail Snapper, Lane Snapper, Red Grouper, Tile fish, Wolf Fish, Tautog, Weakfish, Catfish, Greater Amberjack, Lesser Amberjack, Pompano, Yellowfin Tuna, Bluefin Tuna, Albacore (Tombo), Skipjack, Bonito, Common Makerel, Spanish Makerel, King Makerel, Mahi-Mahi, Swordfish, Monkfish and Sturgeon. That's 29 different fish in one day...that was a lot. Then we were instructed to fillet aWild  Striped Bass, fillet one Rainbow Trout, and butterfly 2 Rainbow Trout. It was a lot of work to do and we did not have much time, plus Rainbow Trout have tiny pin bones that must be pulled out of each fillet with pliers or tweezers. When I finally finished that task, one of the guys in my group came up to me and said, "wow, those are beautiful fillets." I felt pretty good about that compliment, I guess my fillets were pretty good then, yay! After everyone finished we cleaned the kitchen and went into lecture for 3 hours, and there were a ton of fish to study for that night as I mentioned above. I was not looking forward to homework that night and I had every right not to because after I got out of class I took a 2 hour nap, because naps are needed with these crazy early classes. Then I started homework at 2:30 and did not finish til about 9, not joking! Finally being able to get in bed that night was awesome!

No comments:

Post a Comment